Can dogs eat peaches?Are peaches healthy for dogs?

Can dogs eat peaches

Some foods have health benefits for dogs if they are given in moderate amounts. Here I am going to talk about a summer snack that you can give your dog without hesitation. Can dogs eat peaches and what health benefits peaches have on the health of the dog, we are going to talk about that.

Can dogs eat peaches in 2022

Health benefits of peaches for a dog

Peaches have lots of health benefits for your best pal.

Rich in vitamins and minerals

Peaches contain vitamin A which is essential for maintaining healthy skin and regeneration of epithelial cells of your dog. Vitamin E, which is responsible for developing a robust immune system, is also an essential element of peaches. In addition to the vitamins mentioned above, they also contain small amounts of magnesium, phosphorous.

Rich in antioxidants

Peaches are rich in antioxidants, and they can also help in the treatment of various types of cancerous conditions of the dog.

Aids in the digestion of food

Peaches also contain fiber, half of which is soluble fiber, which helps in digestion and moving the food through the gastrointestinal system and reducing the likelihood of constipation for your dog.

Improving heart health of your dog

Peaches improve the heart health of your dog by binding the bile acids and cholesterol. Thus reducing the cholesterol level and improving the heart condition.

These are some essential health benefits that peaches have on your dog’s health.

But there are health harms associated with peaches as well.

Health risks of peaches

If your dog has taken peaches in large amount, the following signs will appear:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Lethargy and Weakness
  • Faster heart rate
  • Increase respiration rate
  • dizziness

In addition to that, pits of peaches contain amygdalin, which is a cyanogenic glycoside cause the release of cyanide and eventually causing cyanide poisoning.

Can dogs eat peaches
Feeding too many peaches to a dog can result in cyanide poisoning.

How to give peaches to your dog?

Always consult with your veterinarian before feeding peaches to your dog. First of all, properly wash the peaches. Then remove the stems and leaves and do not forget to remove the pit as it contains cyanogenic glycoside. Then cut the peaches into small pieces and give fresh pieces to your dog. Alternatively, you can also freeze peaches and offer it later to your dog as a treat. It is a proper way of feeding peaches to your dog.

Peaches should not be the regular part of your dog’s diet because treats should make only 10 percent of the dog’s diet; the other 90 percent comes from dog food.

If your dog does not like eating peaches, there are some alternatives available that you can serve your dog as a treat.







A guide about Westminster dog show 2021

Frequently asked questions

Are peaches healthy for dogs?

Yes, they are if you remove the pits of peaches and feed them accurately because they contain lots of vitamins and minerals.

Are peaches toxic to the dog?

Pits of peaches contain amygdalin, which releases cyanide, ultimately causing cyanide poisoning.

What happens if my dog eats pits of peaches?

Pits of peaches cause intestinal blockage and will eventually lead to cyanide poisoning.

What are the signs of cyanide poisoning?

Your dog will experience a faster heart, dizziness, headaches, faster respiration rate, and confusion.

Can peaches kill my dog?

Yes, If your dog has eaten peaches in large amounts, it will result in cyanide poisoning, and your dog dies due to hypoxia.


So whatever you are feeding to your dog, always consult with your veterinarian. Feeding peaches in a sufficient amount has some health benefits, but feeding too much can result in the death of your dog. I hope you like Can dogs eat peaches, feel free to contact us for any question. Read a Comprehensive guide about dog food here.

Dr. Louise Cosgrove

Dr. Louise Cosgrove

veterinarian for 10+ years currently running a veteran house and I am here to serve my knowledge over the internet.

Recent Posts