Some foods are suitable for your dog, but you need to take care of some potential harms to avoid severe health conditions. Can dogs eat honey, and how to feed a pet to your dog is a topic; have you come here to get the answers? Here I will provide you with a detailed guide on dogs can eat honey.
Can dogs eat honey in 2022
Honey health benefits
- Honey reduces the level of bad cholesterol and increases HDL, which is good cholesterol, thus reducing the risk of congestive heart failure for your dog.
- Honey reduces triglycerides, thus increasing your dog’s risk of heart failure.
- Antioxidants present in honey can also lower blood pressure. Honey also helps the body fight against cancer.
- Studies suggest honey protects against allergic reactions. So honey is thought to treat seasonal allergic reactions in dogs.
- Honey is used to treat different respiratory conditions and is used in the curing of sore throat.
- Honey has a beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal system. It is used in the treatment of stomach disorders.
- Honey enhances the immune system because it has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. Thus protecting the body against different pathogens.
- Honey speeds up wound healing and acts as an antiseptic solution.
HONEY POTENTIAL HARMS
- Honey should not be given to your dog if it has diabetes because honey increases the blood sugar level and thus potentiate the effect of diabetes.
- Honey contains botulinum spores, so an excess of honey possesses harmful effects on your dog. It compromises the immune system.
- Honey contains fructose, which is not well digested in the digestive tract and thus causes bloat formation.
- Honey also causes dizziness, vomiting, and excessive perspiration, so avoid giving honey in excess.
- Honey results in tooth decay, so it is good to wash your dog’s teeth after feeding them.
How to give honey to your dog?
Always consult with your veterinarian before feeding honey to your dog. A quarter teaspoon of honey is suitable for your dog. A dog loves the sweet taste of honey, so you can also give it as a treat with other food. If your dog has a diabetic condition, never feed honey to your dog. Never feed honey to your dog with the diabetic disease.
How to give raw honey to your dog?
Raw honey contains Clostridium botulinum spores, which hurt a dog’s health.
Alternatives for honey
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is honey healthy for your dog?
Honey is healthy for dogs to eat in small quantities. But feeding too much honey increase the blood sugar level and thus increases the risk of diabetes.
What are the health benefits of honey?
Honey promotes healing and decreases the risk of heart failure.
Which type of honey is best for your dog?
Manuka honey is best for your dog as it treats cough and irritated throats.
Thus honey is safe for dogs to eat in small quantities. However, treats should not contain over 10 percent of the dog’s diet. Feeding too many can cause diabetes and an upset stomach. So this is a detailed guide about can dogs eat honey. I hope you like the article, ask questions. Read more articles here.